Monday, March 10, 2014

Julia Gillard's voice

I believe that Julia Gillard's unique tone and sound makes enables her to resonate with the working class of Australia. According to Lucy Cornell (2014), human beings relate to each other by resonating with each other through their voice. In my opinion, the working class community appear to be the most influential population in Australia and I would therefore contribute her success to her ability to resonate with this population.

I agree with the reporters that Ms Gillard has a very tight, small, breathless voice and to not find it particularly aesthetically pleasing. I would be curious to see the affect she would of had on the population if she was able to adopt a more 'Cate Blanchett' like voice. Gillard's rough and rugged exterior was a significant contributor to her achievements in top level politics and I would've been interested to see if she would have had the same effects in a male dominated environment if she were to have expressed more femininity in her voice.

Resources:

YouTube Video - 'Julia Gillard's Voice': http://youtube.com/watch?v=CEybGzg1Nxs, viewed 10th March 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment