Saturday, March 8, 2014

Study Guide Week 1 Activity:



Activity: Summarise, in your own words, the differences between talk and speech. Refer to 
the original definitions, available online at http://www.oxforddictionaries.com
 
 
Talk, according to the Oxford Dictionary (2014), is a general term given to all verbal communication. As a verb, talk encompasses the specific actions of speaking to include the verbal communication of ideas and feelings, and formal dealings and discussions. As a noun, talk deals with the broader meaning of communication including conversation, formal negotiations and informal addresses.
 
In contrast to the word 'talk', the noun 'speech' has a much more specific definition. Speech takes in to consideration expression and has a much more formal meaning when used to discuss discourse. Furthermore, speech may also be used to describe a sequence of lines written for a person.
 
Activity: Now, based on your knowledge of the differences between talk and speech, reflect 
on the following: 
• “I’m giving a speech…” 
• “I’m giving a talk…” 

Do you think one is more formal than the other, and why do you think this is the case? 
Would you prepare differently for a ‘speech’ than you would for a ‘talk’? If so, how; if not, 
why not? 
 
To date, I have used the terms speech and talk interchangeably. It is only now that I realise that a distinct difference can be made between the two.
 
In my opinion, if someone were to ask me to prepare a speech, I would assume that it would be to present in a more formal environment as opposed to if I was asked to prepare a talk. Taking in to account the definitions listed above, if someone were to ask me to prepare a speech I would be making my script structure and content very specific, and use formal language. If I were to prepare a talk, I would be more inclined to include personal stories, humour and be less concerned with the language I was using (depending on the audience).
 
 
Resources:
 
Oxford dictionary, 2014 Definition of  speech in English, viewed 9th March 2014, http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/talk?q=speech

Oxford dictionary, 2014 Definition of talk in English, viewed 9th March 2014, http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/speech?q=talk

No comments:

Post a Comment